Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

What would I have done...

The title of this post comes from a song that has been rolling through my mind this evening.  "What would I have done, if it wasn't for Your blood?  The blood You gave for all, on the cross..."  And oh friends, what would I have done if it weren't for His unconditional love...

The last time I blogged with any consistency, I was blogging the true story of redemption that God has written for my family.  You see, just to give a tiny bit of history here, back in 2008 Burns and I were in a very low and desperate place.  We were both incredibly centered on self, and being a married couple that really didn't work, however, that was not our biggest issue.  We had not centered our marriage on the one thing that would transcend all else, the greatness of our Heavenly Father.  After many struggles, low points, arguments and disappointments, we found ourselves unable to make it work within the same walls.  Burns had hit a point where drinking was the only thing he did with any consistency, not as much because the alcohol controlled him, but because we were in such a bad place that it was what he wanted to do.  We were separated and had little hope of a good future, but neither one of us believed that we weren't supposed to be together, and never really even spoke of divorce.  God used a series of events to bring Burns to a ministry called U Turn for Christ.  It was a program in which he was completely stripped of all else and left with nothing but the purity of Christ when he desperately needed it most.  While I wasn't in such dire conditions, I too was in a place of coming to total surrender.  After 18 months of being separated, my sweet family was reconciled again, only because the tender mercies of God are sweet and true.  If you want a tiny window into the joy of that reconciliation, read my post, I can't find the words, and be glad with us.  Since that sweet day at the beginning of June 2011 my family has been through lots of highs and a few not-so-lows and until recently we have been sort of sailing along.

In the fall of 2012 Shelton came to live with us full-time.  Although it was challenging to say the least (although parenting a teenager is simply that, challenging) it was wonderful.  We were so proud of the work he did and the way he adapted to the high expectations that were given when living under our roof.  Then, on a very tough day one year later he decided (for various reasons, not to be named here) that he wanted to go back to live with his mom.  At that moment, Burns and I prayed that God would never leave or forsake that so-very-grown-up boy and that through whatever necessary that God would allow Shelton to really encounter Him.  We had no idea what that prayer we prayed for days and weeks and months really meant.  And that brings us to where we are today.  If you're reading this blog, chances are you've followed me here as I transition from my meager Facebook updates to this.  It also means that you most likely know at least what I was able to share there.

So, here we are.  Many things have transpired over the past few days.  Although he has not regained any of the feeling below his belly button, Shelton is pressing on and handling therapy well on most days.  Some days he is in pain and isn't too keen on the tasks being set before him, but the nurses and therapists at the rehab center are no strangers to this.  They are amazing people with true and wonderful gifts and for each one that has taken care of, encouraged and challenged Shelton, we will be forever grateful.  His spirits are better than could be expected for the situation we've been handed.  He knows that if not for his choices, his fate would have been different and I admire the honesty and responsibility he has chosen to display through this entire ordeal.  The past can't be undone, Burns and I know that all too well from our own personal trials, but it can be embraced as part of our story that can hopefully change lives and we pray that Shelton will someday allow God to use his story to do just that, change lives.  {We know that God's not done with our story, as He is also not done with Sheltons, Coopers or even yours.}  Other than the mental and physical grind that he is facing daily, we are praying that fear doesn't take root.  You see, there are too many unknown factors that lie ahead of each of us to count, and each new day only seems to unveil new unknowns.  The fear of the unknown stinks.  We're sailing uncharted waters here, and it takes great faith to withstand the waves.  However, we know the One who can calm the waves and who has plotted our course.  This is peace for Burns and I in the midst of the storm and we pray that it is Shelton's calm as well.  I cannot go into details, but as you may have seen on the news, there was an arrest made in the case.  That is all I choose to say here.  Please be praying for all of the legal dealings and for the young man who is now facing his own set of unknowns.  Pray that God would reach him, even in the middle of this mess.  Pray that everyone who deals with him, would see him as a child of God, just as in need of God's grace as you and I are.  This is our prayer as well.

Now, to the meat of this post...we absolutely would not have made it this far, if not for the prayers of the faithful.  So, precious prayer warriors, Pray for stamina and patience.  As I mentioned on an earlier update and as was validated by a dear friend, acute trauma and shock are difficult.  Sustained difficulty seems impossible some days.  We're into the "sustained difficulty" phase and we grow weary.  We also do have days of great joy, amazing time as family and even almost-normal time with friends.  We are grateful for these times when days of exhaustion set in.  Pray for relationships, all that you can think of that are impacted by this situation (Burns & I, Burns & Shelton, Shelton & I, Burns, Cooper & I, our relationship with Sheltons' mom, etc.) and pray that we are only strengthened each day.  Pray as the medical bills start to come in.  While I have no apprehension that God will provide for those, I have severe anxiety as I think about dealing with the hassle of medical billing and insurance companies.  We got the bill for the air ambulance.  Yikes!!!  (Ask me sometime about the crazy letter that came with the bill, to inform us that our insurance company does consider their services as a preferred provider.  Sheesh!!)  All things involved in this process make me twitch just thinking about it.  Pray and thank God for his mercies and how He has already worked in this.  And above all, talk to others about this.  Talk to those who don't know the grace of God personally and tell them about the miracles that have already come to be.  Tell him about how He has completely sustained Burns and I above anything that could ever be credited to us.  Tell teenagers this story, and remind them that one choice can change everything.  Talk about it and help us make sure that through this, our God will be glorified!

One special request, please read this blog and tell others about the things you see here.  Give people my email address if they want to hear more about the story first hand, but please don't share this link on Facebook.  I can't really go into the reasons for this here, and we know that this blog will be read by many, for sure, but it is my personal request that it just doesn't go through that venue.  I know you all will respect this, and want to say thank you in advance.  You truly are amazing friends!!!

{For I know the plans I have for you, declares, the Lord.  Plans to prosper, not to harm you.  Plans to give you a hope and a future.}  Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment