Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Just the Beginning...

And just like that, day one is done.  It was long and it was hard.  Honestly, other than the day we got the news that Shelton had been shot and was fighting for his life in the ICU, this has been the second hardest day we have had so far.  Nothing "happened" to make it so hard.  It was hard because we could put a name to all of those things that we knew were going to be hard, even though we didn't know exactly what they were.  Up until now, we've been able to say, "We know that having Shelton home is going to be hard, but we are ready to have him home."  And today we say, "We are so thankful that Shelton is home," stopping there because all of those hard things can be named and form a list that is what seems like a mile long.  And because we are so thankful to have him home that those things don't really matter.

The reality is that I am a planner.  Burns is not.  I am a glass-half-empty, worst case scenario kind of gal and Burns is a glass-half-full, go big or go home kind of guy.  While caring for Shelton, there needs to be some happy medium between these two.  We made it through the day seeing eye-to-eye on most things and came to good understanding on others.  I err on the side of extreme caution and believe in following doctors orders right down to the most specific of details.  While this is where my mind is going, Burns is headed in exactly the opposite direction thinking more along the lines of how nice it was for the doctor to give us a loose suggestion as to what needs to be done.  We're both going to have to give a little to make sure that all of Shelton's needs are met while he is comfortable and well adjusted here.  At the end of the day, we managed to do that...without any strife or marital discord.  I count that a success.  God really had covered this day with His grace and mercy and understanding for each of us and it was exactly what we needed.

The hospital cared well for Shelton while he was there, but I do feel dropped the ball on several things in sending us home.  I could go on and on here but there really is no need for that.  I do think that I will remember from time to time to send out extra prayers for those individuals and their families headed home for the first time, knowing that there is little done to ensure a successful transfer.  I believe that our day was successful because it was so covered in prayer by all of you.  Now it is our turn to pay it forward and offer up prayers, even for those we don't know.  God is good. I can't say it enough.
We couldn't be more thankful that
this bed is not empty tonight...

Shelton is resting peacefully and is thankful to be in his own bed tonight, as are we.

Thanks for following along.  Thanks for the prayers and thanks for loving on us so mightily.  Rest well tonight friends.

{For God did not give us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.} 2 Timothy 1:7

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting updates Robin. I love getting to read how everything is going for y'all, both victories and struggles. We are continuing to pray for you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome, Jenny. We are just blessed that we get to share the things that the Lord is doing in our lives. We pray that all who ready are encouraged and blessed as well. :)

      Delete