We set out today to embark on a new journey, one we never dreamed we would begin. One that certainly has "unknown" written all over it and I wonder if we are capable. As I sat down to do some reading this morning, my devotional was about humility. I started thinking about humility. I then got myself off on a silent tangent thinking about how humility is such an elusive and difficult concept to grasp. However, just because it is incredibly complex that does not mean that I am exempt from fully living a life of humility. I began thinking about how I know that I cannot possibly begin to understand what lies before us, thinking that I'm not sure we can handle it. Knowing that I have the power of the Spirit of God living in me, I do know that He can overcome what we're up against. And that brought me back to thinking about humility. To be completely transparent here, humility is what I struggle with the most. I desire it so. When I hear someone say something along the lines of, "Your humility astounds me," as a response to my acceptance that God is the One who has carried my family this far and that my strength has nothing to do with it, I feel prideful as if I have accomplished the thing that I so desire. And then that brings me right back to where I need to pray for and seek more humility. I started looking into scriptures that give insight into what the scriptures say on the matter and came across these:
{Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vein conceit. Rather in humility, value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.} Philippians 2:3-4
{Humility is the fear of the Lord; it's wages are riches, honor and life.} Proverbs 22:4
{When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.} Proverbs 11:2
{Have the same mindset as Christ Jesus. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used to his own advantage; rather He made Himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!} Philippians 2:5-8 -emphasis added
As I meditate on these, I know that I was created with a desire to serve. My love language is doing things for others and feeling the joy in doing so. So, the servant part of humility isn't the thing I struggle with the most. Pride, now that is a different story. I battle it daily. I do struggle though, in knowing that I need to feel worthy of the calling set before me because of the greatness of God. I also know that waking up daily, thinking that I'm a hot mess who is really not good enough to live this life as a child of God in a fallen world won't get it done either. So, how do I find the middle ground? My brain knows the answer. I must wake up each day knowing that in who I am, there is little that I can do apart from God, yet knowing that because I have Him on my side, nothing is impossible. I must recognize every accomplishment as an accomplishment of His, not mine. But that's not how this human brain works, is it? Therefore I struggle. I may be writing Proverbs 11:2 on my mirror today. Perhaps a daily reminder about what God's Word has to say about pride and the warning of what it brings will inspire me to keep my eyes looking up and not so much on me. I like the beginning of the last scripture listed above. I added the emphasis on "having the same mindset of Christ" because I believe that if I can learn more about His life and the way he approached walking on this Earth, I can grow closer to knowing true joy. I know that pride does not bring joy. I can then assume that the opposite of pride, humility, would certainly bring joy. But not a fading "happiness" that comes from knowing that I did something good, a real joy found in being used of God to bring light to my little world because of who He is. There is much more to delve into on the topic of humility. But just for today I will pray that as God brings Shelton home to us, and we walk this rocky road together as a family, that we seek to give Him all the glory for the miraculous things we know that He will surely do. I will pray that the evil one does not try to temp me into using our triumphs for my own gain. I will pray that when more trials come, I will sustain my strength in the Father, knowing that His plan for us will bring life and joy and peace.
I know that I have no capabilities of "muscling up" and making our family work, as things look so different for us. I must remain humble in knowing that on my own strength, nothing is possible. But I must stand firm in knowing that with God, all things are possible.
Pray for us today, if you will, as we begin this new and exciting journey.
God is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment