Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

So Many New Things...And Thankful for 4!

Hey friends. I haven't posted in over a month, and of course many things have happened that are potentially worthy of sharing. I've left a lot out so I'll try to catch up on everything. First things first, I want to fill you in on what's been going on with my sweet little guy since my last post. Cooper seems to be doing much better. He turned four on the 19th and so far, four is much better than three. He's had several great weeks and seems to be much less anxious and defiant in this time. I've definitely been able to determine by my own means (careful observation and of course, lots of prayer) that what we're dealing with is most likely OCD. I've been researching how to best parent him through this new discovery and I think what we've been trying is reaping results. I know for sure that some day we'll sit down with his teacher and discuss his attention difficulties, but for now we're just managing this with a careful diet and avoidance of all red food dyes. He went to a birthday party on Saturday where he was completely filled with candy and yummy sweet treats and we ALL paid for the effects of the sugar and dye all night long. Whew. I discussed all of this with his wonderful doctor at his 4 year check up and he suggested continuing on with what we're doing. Make specific notes as I go and make sure to be very sensitive to changes in his behavior and the circumstances surrounding it. So, at this recommendation it's exactly what we're doing for now. If there are still significant concerns we'll have him evaluated by the school district next fall, but for now we feel confident that what we're doing is exactly in God's plan for my little boy right now. So hopefully that fills you in on what's been going on since my last post.


In other news...I had to have my gallbladder removed back in January and we're still feeling the effects of that in many ways. Any time Cooper gets a tummy ache now, he's terrified that the doctor will want to take something out of him. We're working on that. We're also paying off medical bills a little at a time but should be done with that soon. I'm also feeling the effects in the fact that I'm all out of days for the remainder of the year. After the days off this weekend for Easter, I'll have no days off until summer with no possiblity for a mental health day thrown in there. This makes me sad, but I know I'll live.

We also registered Shelton for his classes next year last week. He signed up for all of his classes for his junior year. Yes, you read that right...we're about to have a high school junior in the house. Where did the time go? Shelton is also taking guitar lessons and is doing quite well. We're very proud of how hard he's working.

Cooper started t-ball last week and couldn't possibly be more excited about it. His best friend from church and one of his friends from school are on his team. The picture with today's post is from Friday night's practice. He's actually pretty good, but will need to keep his OCD tendencies at bay as we play. A perfect example from practice...the coach (who we were very impressed with) had cones set up in the infield as markers for the boys who were playing there to so that they know where to stand. Cooper was practicing batting but couldn't swing the bat until all 3 cones were upright. One kept getting kicked over and he couldn't stop himself from running out onto the field and fixing it before going back to finish his batting practice. Oh boy, this should be fun. :)

Cooper and I also had birthdays. He turned 4 and I turned a few years older than 4. Coop had a fantastic baseball themed (of course, would you expect any less from this Texas Rangers fan?) birthday party with hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, peanuts, bounce house and so many good friends. Burns had beautiful flowers waiting for me when I got home on my special day. All in all, March as been good to the Thackers.


Burns is doing well and has an opportunity for a new potential position that could be a great opportunity for our family. We're still praying for God's guidance as far as that is concerned though.

I'm doing well also. My job next year will be significantly different as LISD is moving into a new program for students called the Dual Language Program. I'm not sure exactly how this will affect my job yet, but I know that changes are coming. Bring it on. If there is one thing I've learned from doing this for the past 15 years, it's that change will come and if I don't embrace it, it will be sure to take me down as I try to stand firm in my own ways. Praying that God makes these new opportunities for me fun and grace-filled.


If you're still reading...thanks so much! Thanks for checking in on my little family. Below you'll find some fun pictures of some of the things mentioned above!


The party table my fantastic friend Laurie helped me decorate.


The cupcakes. Yum!





My little man and his cake.





































No comments:

Post a Comment