Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

This Job Is Hard...

As all of you probably know, I'm a working mommy. Teaching is the one thing in my life I'm sure of. God created me to be a teacher and gave me all of the tools I need to get this incredibly imporatant job done. I love helping friends who need advice about something that is happening at their child's school as I believe that God gave us our talents to be shared. Most days I absolutely LOVE what I do, and other days are extremely trying. But as difficult as that job can be, it's not what the title of my post is referring to. I'm specifically thinking tonight about what it means to be a mommy. It's the most difficult job in the world, hands down. Period. When thinking about having kids, I often thought about the precious moments that would be to come. You know, those times when you snuggle in bed, sing songs together, the first time that precious little one laughs and ultimately, that unforgettable day when my child will become an eternal member of God's family to live with the Holy Spirit inside for the rest of his life. Not once did I stop to consider the days when he would be sick and I couldn't make it better or the days when I can't wait for bedtime because I've said "No" one time past my limit. Nor did I ever imagine that one day I would be sitting at a table with his precious preschool teacher waiting for her to tell me the words that I've been dreading, "Robin, I think that Cooper might be facing some real challenges. I don't believe that his behaviors are controllable on most days and that something else may be causing him to act this way." I knew it was coming, I've predicted it many times, but somehow that didn't soften the blow. My little boy is a precious child of God who is smart, loving, creative and full of spunk. He's also a little boy that shouldn't be acting the way he does on most days. My precious friends tell me that he's fine or he's just being a boy, but for a long time God has been speaking softly to me, preparing me for the fact that there might be something else going on. I don't know what it is. Perhaps ODD, OCD, ADD as all of these are possiblities based on his behaviors. I don't doubt his teacher's heart and I applaud her frankness with me in considering his best interest, even though saying it would most certainly be tough to hear. So, this next week we'll be calling the CFBISD special ed department (as it's the referral that was given during the teacher conference) and talking to them to see if there is anything they can do to help diagnose what we're facing. I'll also be taking him to the optometrist as a recent screening of his vision indicated a potential problem. This just hasn't been a great week for this tired, weary mommy. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. I know in my head that God will give me patience and strength I need to face this, just as He has many times before but my heart is lagging a little behind on accepting this truth. Thanks to everyone who has loved on, played with and prayed for this passionate little joy that is my Cooper! We love you all!


{You created my inmost bieng; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in that secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.} Psalm 139:13-16

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your sweet boy. You are a wonderful mom and a brave woman. Love you friend!
    Isaiah 43

    Israel’s Only Savior

    1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
    “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
    2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
    and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
    3 For I am the LORD your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
    I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
    4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
    I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
    5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
    I will bring your children from the east
    and gather you from the west.
    6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
    Bring my sons from afar
    and my daughters from the ends of the earth—
    7 everyone who is called by my name,
    whom I created for my glory,
    whom I formed and made.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh friend...you got it! sending prayers and big hugs to you guys! i know that you will get to the bottom of this and that you will be cooper's rock! you are a fantastic mama, and i know in my heart that everything will work out! xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have our prayers. You are a great mother. God will give you the strength to help Cooper through this.

    ReplyDelete