Friends, as I sit and type this morning from the comfy brown chair in the corner of my room I am so grateful that God has given me this new day. I know that countless times each day I fail, I miss opportuinities to share with those around me, simply because I'm so wrapped up in my own little world that I fail to see those around me who might need an encouraging word, a hug, or even knowledge of our precious Savior. But does this mean that this same Savior that I neglected to tell other about now loves me less? Of course not. I'm still His child and I'm held in His hands as tightly today as I was yesterday.
I'm reminded so often of this incredible love as I try to demonstrate this same sort of love with Cooper and Shelton. Honestly, it's hard to do if I'm just being real. Shelton is sixteen. He does his own thing and just because he needs to go to his mom's house regularly, I don't see him as often as I would potentially like to and therefore showing him unconditional, meaningful, life changing love is sometimes difficult, just because of time constraints. I do know however that because he is older he can equate the "little things" that we do for him as love. Cooper, now this is another story. We're going through some rough times with him my friends. His schedule is significantly deviating from his norm, which is not a-ok with my little OCD man. He is still in a state of refusal when it comes to pooping on the potty and is now officially considered at a "developmental delay" in this area, although it is not a physical thing or even a fear situation. He is absolutely exerting his will here, because he's smart enough that he knows he can. We're making this incredibly uncomfortable for him. We're no longer pressuring him to use the potty, simply making it his choice. However we've told him that because he is the boss of the poop, that he needs to be the boss of cleaning it up when he chooses to put it in his pants. We've also told him that he may be the boss of the poop, but we are the boss of the tv and even of blankie and we've decided that perhaps he doesn't need these things until he decides that he wants to be responsible with his poop. He's s-l-o-w-l-y coming around, but it is obvious that this is stressing him out. He's had a bit of a rash off and on lately. It's hard to say if it's his eczema or stress or something else entirely but it's not always there and doesn't torture him so as of yet we've not been to the doctor about it. If it hangs around much longer at all, we'll be doing just that. One thing we have learned is that there is an unfortunate coincidence that taking Benadryl (for said rash) and going into fits of rage tend to come in pairs. We will not be giving him any more Benadryl, ever. I can't say for sure that I know it was what causes the rage but it's not worth trying it ever again. In all of the above circumstances, what has happened here is lots of "tough love" parenting and not the fun, sweet and snuggly kind of love I'd rather be showing him day in and day out. Sure we play, but I feel like the ratio of tough love to fun love is tipped much too far in the other direction. I'm loving Cooper in this way for a pointed reason, I love him more than words can express and I want to train him up in the way he should go, and if that means a little tough love now...it's worth it. Is this how my God feels about me? He has blessings that He wants to pour out over me in His gracious and abounding love, but because I continue to be wrapped up so much in my own self that I'm missing these blessings because He loves me so much that He's giving me exactly what I need to turn my eyes back to Him? It's something to think about my friends...
{Since, then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not earthly things. For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory.} Colossians 3:1-4
This says it all my friends. I've written it on my mirror. I'll have it in my car and I pray that I'll carry it around on my heart. I know that blessings to me and glory to Him are sure to flow if I can set my mind on things above. If I'm lucky enough that you're reading this and you are someone I get to see on a regular basis, please stop me if you hear me speaking and it becomes evident that my mind is set on earthly things, rather than the things of our Father.
No comments:
Post a Comment