So, I'm not too much of a writer and I am running out of clever titles for my update posts. Please keep reading though, if you want to know what's been going on with us that is. We've been doing well. I realized earlier today that it is already Thursday and that I haven't posted since Sunday. Shelton has continued on with therapy this week and is just keeping on, keeping on. We're quickly coming to the realization that he will be home, before we know it. In preparation for his homecoming there are several things that need to be done. I need to be AHEAD of the game on all things around here. I'm planning on trying to get some meals in the freezer this weekend and need to do some spring cleaning as well. We need to put the finishing touches on his room and need to make sure that everything he will need is here. Burns needs to get the ramps finished and prepare some things out in the "shop" where he will be working with Burns after he comes home, to make sure that he doesn't have idle hands. My mom and dad have an appointment with his case worker and will meet to find out exactly what they will need to do as the only adults who will be at home with him the majority of the time. I also feel like it would be wise for all of us to try and be caught up on sleep before he comes. We'll see if this happens though...
Our current plan is this, next Thursday Shelton is scheduled to be released from the rehabilitation hospital. We are waiting on having the chair lift installed on the stairs as the insurance approved contractor will not be available until the beginning of March to do the job. Also, there is some sort of hang up with the insurance as they haven't yet approved the custom wheelchair Shelton will need. Apparently it must be deemed as medically necessary and there is some red tape we need to fight through. Absurd, I know...don't ask. Pray that we get through this sooner rather than later. Until the chair lift has been successfully installed, Shelton can sleep downstairs. Until everything is exactly as it should be and until we learn exactly how things will work when he gets home I suspect that we will all be quite tired. We are ready for this kind of tired though. It is an unavoidable adjustment period and we're ready for the challenge. I turned in my request for days off next Thursday and Friday so that I can be there when we all meet with his team at the hospital for his discharge meeting and be here when he initially comes home. The occupational and physical therapists will be here with him do sessions here at home and we will need to be a part of those for the first 48 hours or so. Things will definitely be different, but different isn't always bad. We can't wait to see what the Lord has to teach us over the next month (or more). As soon as things even out around here some, Shelton will start working on his GED, will be going through various therapies during the week and will be working with Burns out in the shop to weld and make some different pieces of garden art. Some of the things that they can make are fantastic and what better season of the year to have some things that can be sold than now? They may sell them on Craig's List or go to Canton with them, we'll see, but we've told Shelton that he needs to stay busy and must find a way to earn some money, starting right away and he is excited to get busy doing this.
And now, we just keep praying for the strength and courage we will need as we press on. Our family is strong, but only because the power of the Holy Spirit that lives within us, is stronger than anything this world holds. We celebrate this as we head into yet another new phase for us. Thanks for being on this journey with us. Continue to pray and encourage us. We need it desperately!!
{Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.} Hebrews 12:1-3
Oooh, I can't wait to see what Shelton makes! If only I had a garden/yard...
ReplyDelete