Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Coming To An End

As I sat in my comfy brown chair this morning and think about my delightful spring break coming to an end, I started thinking about how I can have this same sort of peace even in the midst of a maddening week filled with long to-do lists and busyness.  Of course in looking for the answer, I turned to prayer.  I recently came across a list that suggests the five most common things that try to block out all that God wants for us daily.  Here they are:  unbelief, pride, idolatry, prayerlessness and legalism.  I am guilty on all points at any given time.  So, what if in my devotions each day I am intentional about reading scripture about each different topic and praying against it?  I think that perhaps if I am willing to try, I just might find that peace and rest, even in the midst of busyness that I am looking for.  So, today my goal is to dive deeper into what unbelief really looks like and how it can be used by the enemy to sabotage my days, weeks and months.  I will pray over this today, and ask the Lord to show me where my unbelief is robbing me of what He wants for me.  I pray that I would believe in Him today, and all that He has for me and my family.  In my search (which I will continue further) these are just a few of the verses I found.

{When the Lord heard them, he was furious; his fire broke out against Jacob, and his wrath rose against Isreal, for they did not believe in God or trust in his deliverance.}  Psalm 78:21-22
~emphasis added

{In spite of His wonders, they [the Israelites] did not believe.  So He ended their days in futility and their years in terror.}  Psalm 78:31-33

And as I kept reading the theme continued on.  Unbelief leads to a dismal end and the wrath of God.  After all, He did create us in His own image.  Think about that...let's say you have a child that is a carbon copy of you.  I mean, he looks exactly like you, and when he grows up that same child refuses to believe that he is part of you.  I think it would raise frustration and perhaps anger.  It just doesn't make sense, but our unbelief is just as ridiculous and for that, there will be consequences.  The bible is full of examples in which unbelief leads to destruction.  However, the opposite is also credited and documented well in the bible.  Let's look at a few I found...

{Abram believed in the Lord, and He credited it to him as righteousness.}  Genesis 15:6

{Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go!  Let it be done just as you believed it would."  And his servant was healed at that moment.}  Matthew 8:13

{Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.}  Mark 16:16

I could go on here, but I think you get the point.  Belief brings righteousness, healing and a saving grace that will bring us into glorious eternity with our Savior.  Today, I choose belief.  However, the more I am dwelling on this, I am realizing that belief is an active choice.  So, even more than proclaiming that today I choose belief, I claim this:  Today I believe that my Father has a perfect plan for me.  I know that my day will not be perfect but that in my belief that God has my best interest at heart so that when my day is done it can be said that He was glorified, I can have peace and rest.

Now, I look forward to what this day has to hold.  What a difference a little perspective can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment